So You Decided to Start Living Healthy... What Now?

Good morning everyone!


I am going to start posting a lot more often about health & fitness because they are a large part of my current life. I am hopefully teaming up with a company to bring you some reviews of fitness products as well. But for now I am going to start by posting about what I think to be some of the most important parts of living a healthy lifestyle.

This week my focus is on making the change!

One thing that so many people are guilty of is saying they are going to become healthier, jump into it 100% on the first day, and give up after a week or so. I personally believe that you cannot just jump into anything let alone a life altering change! Being healthy is a lifestyle not something that you can do for a week and then be done. So it is best to start gradually. Here are the first 5 of my 10 tips for beginning a healthy lifestyle!

1. Don't eliminate all treats.

If you deny yourself everything delicious then you will eventually cave and binge eat. ("Binge- a short period of time where you do too much of something" Thanks Merriam Webster for this definition!) If you binge eat you will be undoing everything good that you have started. If you eat a lot of junk food then I suggest cutting out one or two things at a time. For instance when I lived at school I realized that I was eating way too many french fries. So I started out by telling myself that I could have french fries with one meal a week, and then after a couple of weeks I cut them out all together. I continued to do this with other things in the school cafe, cookies, ice cream, the delicious bread, etc. Eventually you don't even miss the foods that you used to eat every day! Make sure you allow yourself a treat every once in a while though! Don't deny yourself the pleasures in life. Just do it in moderation. You can't limit yourself to salads every day. Even Jillian Michaels said on her tour "This b**** is going to have a cheeseburger every now and then!"

2. Don't join any fad diets.

I don't believe in diets where you cut out carbs or eat very specific items that the diet sends you through the mail. My reason for this is simple: the minute you stop you will gain your weight back. You want to alter your eating and exercise in a way that you can maintain for the rest of your life. Cutting out carbs for the next 80 years is near to impossible don't you think? Plus carbs are delicious- you should treat yourself sometimes! That being said I don't think you should be eating only carbs! In order to maintain a healthy weight your body needs all different types of foods. Just watch your portion control, add some exercise to your diet and you'll be okay! 

3. Don't skip meals.

We have all been there. We think that oh if I skip breakfast or lunch that we will lose weight quickly. But a healthy lifestyle isn't just about weight, it is about health. Skipping meals is horrible for your body. Think of your body as a car. It needs oil and gas to keep it running. Food is our body's oil & gas. We need to fuel our body with healthy foods on a regular schedule in order to keep it running smoothly. Many people suggest eating small meals throughout the day. I say eat when you're hungry and don't when you're not! For me it was that simple. 

4. Add exercise into your daily life.

If you are like me you are a very busy person. I mean- who isn't nowadays? There are a few things you can incorporate in your daily routine that will make a difference. One thing for sure is stairs! I almost always took the elevator to my dorm room, the escalator in the mall, and if I was feeling really lazy I would even take an elevator to class in certain buildings. Take the stairs! Even if you only take one flight and then take the elevator you are adding a little exercise to your day! Instead of parking your car as close as possible to the building park a little bit further away. Make yourself walk a little bit. These acts alone won't be substantial enough to help you lose 10 pounds but as a first step they will be really beneficial. 

5. Stay Motivated 

I am going to discuss motivation again in a few weeks but in order to start a healthy lifestyle it is important to know why you want to start it! Is it so that you will be around later on in life for your grandkids? Is it to fit into a beautiful dress for a wedding? Is it because you want to be a good role model? Find your reason for becoming healthy and cling to it. It will be what gets you through the toughest days! Personally, I have a few reasons. I wanted to lose weight to be healthy but also because soon I will be 21 and going out a lot more often. I don't want to be at a bar with my friends worried about my weight, I want to go and have a good time! 

So those are my first 5 tips to starting your new healthy lifestyle. Watch out for my next five within the next day or two! 

I have a question for you: What is your reason for becoming healthier? 

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

9 comments :

  1. Great tips! I lost about 50 lbs in 5 months and I did every one of these! Motivation and diet are key! Congrats on your healthy living choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your tips! I wanted to become healthier to teach my daughter to be healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look phenomenal, and this is great advice! I can't wait to see more post from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I need to take this advice. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very good tips, thanks for being so informative

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great tips! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. i need to get serious too--thanx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all these tips, thank you for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My problem is that I always deprive myself of everything all at once... thanks for breaking it down like you did! Now if I could take care of #5, I will be doing good, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete