Thoughts on Nannying - 3 Weeks In

Hello followers & friends!

I am almost done with my third week of nannying and I have to say that it is much more challenging than I imagined. Since I am only a year away from completing my bachelor's in elementary education I really expected this to be easier. However, it is something entirely different. What I love about teaching is that I am making a difference. I don't feel like I'm making a difference with my nannying job. I know I'm helping the parents out but the girls seem totally indifferent. I also prefer teaching because it is structured and has a daily schedule. Nannying is not. We can do anything at any time. I have thought about creating a daily schedule but we don't have a reason to.

What really surprises me is that these girls, ages 7 & 11, seem to be 100% dependent upon me or technology to bring them entertainment. What happened to playing imaginary or with toys? They expect me to drive them to different places every day and spend their parents money. I don't mind doing one daily excursion but the two girls never agree on what they want to do and oftentimes when we arrive at the destination the 7 year old complains about being there. It saddens me to know that kids are so used to iPads and TVs that they can't figure out how to play or eat a meal without them. When I am a parent there will be no iPads until they are much older than 7, and no technology during meals ever. I don't want them to rely on outside things to have a good time. When you're a kid everything should be fun!

The younger one is by far the most challenging. Her emotions are difficult to read so sometimes I feel like I am walking on eggshells with her. I also find myself getting frustrated with the older one too because she avoids us and doesn't want to do anything. However I believe that is the age and I am trying very hard not to take it personally.

For the most part though I do really enjoy it. We have a lot of good moments. Last week I had just the 7 year old and we had a lot of fun going to the strawberry picking farm, the One Stop Fun outdoor pool, Five Guys, the library, and to my aunt's daycare to make friends! Plus- I am outside most of the time, getting tons of cardio in, and eating pretty well too!

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

1 comments :

  1. I think that you should make a schedule anyways. I did but then my girls changed their sleep patterns and messed it up. I can't believe they don't have any imagination. My girls are always playing pretend. Ivy is constantly making me things in her kitchen and playing with her dolls and Barbies. Yesterday we flew our rocket ship (pool) to the moon to collect Easter eggs (balls).

    ReplyDelete