Animal Tails by Dan Jackson Review

Reading is one of the most important things in the world, especially for kids. It is how we learn about the world around us. We can experience almost anything through books. One thing that I discuss often with the kids that I teach is reading books in various genres. Most children, and adults actually, will choose a fiction book to read. And who can blame them? The magic, action, and fantasy are attention-grabbing. It is so difficult to convince third graders to read nonfiction books.

But nonfiction books are so important!

Dan Jackson writes children's books. The first book I have read by him is called Amazing Facts About Penguins.  His children's books are informative but also entertaining!



The book I just read by him is called Animal Tails. This book is a wonderful picture book that discusses many different animals and their tails! What I love most about it is that while it discusses tails it also inadvertently discusses evolution! Evolution is the subject of how animals change over time. Each body part has different uses, and they vary from animal to animal. In this book Jackson discusses the many uses of tails! He talks about alligators, pandas, whales, cats, elephants, and many more! 

I do find that this book is a tad repetitive. Most of the animals wagged their tails for either emotion, balance, or to swat flies. I think that this book could have been a little less repetitive if it included animals with very unique uses for their tails. 

However, I did find that the book was a quick an easy read! As a teacher I would use it to introduce a unit on evolution just because it coincides so nicely. My instinct would be to read it as a read aloud but it is also important for children to practice reading informational text on their own!

It would also be a good read on a kindle or iPad at home because the pictures are really beautiful and entertaining! 

It is only $2.99 on amazon! Check it out here!

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

1 comments :