I Wish I Were a Shark Ebook Review

I have been reviewing many of Dan Jackson's books lately. I have reviewed I Wish I Were a Lion , Amazing Facts About Penguins, and Animal Tails

I got the chance to read I Wish I Were A Shark as well. When I opened it I expected it to be like "I Wish I Were a Lion". Unfortunately, it was very different. I have to say this was my least favorite Dan Jackson book to date. 

The writing was very elementary and there were no deep facts about sharks. It was very surface level- sharks have big teeth, they are big, people gawk at them, etc. I didn't learn anything about sharks.

I didn't like that the reasoning behind the narrator's wish to be a shark was to become something people admired or feared. I felt that the basis of this dream should have been more factual and interesting. 

The only thing I would use this e-book for is the wonderful images of sharks. Despite the writing to be mostly about big sharks, the images showed various sized sharks and many different types of sharks as well. 

There is a huge push for children to be reading informational text lately. However this push will only be successful if kids are reading grade-level, challenging, and informative texts. Writing one sentence with each picture of a shark isn't going to meet any standards by any state. 

This book might be good for an extremely young child to practice reading with or to just admire photos. This would simply be an easy relaxing read, not a book to use in a classroom. 

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment