ThinkFun Brain Fitness Shell Game

I am halfway done with my student teaching and one thing that I have learned so far is that it is incredibly important to have quiet activities for students to do when they have finished with an assignment. Oftentimes I assign work or an activity that I expect to take the rest of the period and I quickly realize that for some of my advanced students, it doesn't take all that long.

Teachers often tell a student to read when this happens. Now, I am a firm believer in reading. I believe that it is one of the most important things a parent or teacher can ever teach! However, I know that some kids aren't into reading that much. It can also get a little boring if the student is always the first one finished. 

This is where companies like ThinkFun come in handy. I have gotten the opportunity to review a couple of their games previously, Chess Solitaire, and Chocolate Fix. These two games are great thinking games that can be played individually - perfect for indoor recess or as a fast finisher activity!

I was extremely excited to have the opportunity to review another game by ThinkFun called the Shell Game. 


This shell game is advertised as a memory game, but it is also a logic game as well! There are 60 challenges in this game. They are leveled as beginner, intermediate, advanced, and expert.  The game has 6 Sea Shell pieces, 6 hermit crab pieces, 3 ocean stone pieces, and the booklet of challenges.

The challenge explains where to place each item. The top row shows how you should start out and the bottom shows where you should be in the end. There are little paths that you are allowed to move along. The player can only move two shells at a time. 

This reminds me of those games with the ball under one cup and the person moves it around and you figure out where it is in the end! The main difference though is that the player is playing alone, and that you have to move the pieces in a very specific way to get it to the correct placement.



It may sound simple- but trust me it isn't! I got confused a few times and may have peeked underneath the shells to make sure I was on the right track!

I tried a couple on the beginner and intermediate level. Personally, my memory isn't the best and logic isn't my strong point so I have yet to try the advanced and expert challenges. I need a little more practice first!

My opinion though- is that this game is great. As a teacher I like to find fun games that require some brain power. I feel that in school the students should be learning almost every single minute. But those minutes should be fun! 

I would recommend this game for maybe 3rd grade (8 years old) and up. Even then I wouldn't let any student in third grade play it - just the students who are a little bit ahead! It can be really challenging. 

Another thing that I really just love about the ThinkFun games is that they really are for any age! I can think of a few students who could really benefit from playing a game like this but I also know that I could benefit from a game like this! As we get older it is so important for us to exercise our brains and these ThinkFun games are a great way to do so! 

As a teacher I think this game is a great addition to any classroom or home! As a learner I think this is a great game for anyone who likes a challenge! 

You can check the game out by clicking here! I highly recommend that you do - it would make a great Holiday gift!


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

34 comments :

  1. My boys are in 2nd and 5th grade and I think they would really have fun playing this game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although my son is a little young, I think he'd really enjoy this game. This is something to keep in mind for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little one is too young for this game at the moment. I love that it exercises the brain though, so important to keep an active mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Educational games that are also fun are the best. It's a good way to keep students occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My princess is probably on the yo her side for this but it still looks like a pretty cool game!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids like games like that.. they usually take each other on and see who can be the best out of 100 times.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun game for when my kids get a little older. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, you're right, not all kids enjoy reading on their free time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids would like this.. Thanks for sharing it .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading can definitely get a little boring if the kid is always the first one finished, even if they really love reading. Games like this are a great option to keep kids busy until everyone is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's a good game to play during teambuilding events. It tests the memory and can be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say I thought it was funny that they had a shell game with actual shells...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am also into brain games. They're never boring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never know this game before... Looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just heard about this recently and thought it was a really neat idea. It sounds like I might need to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I didn't even know there was such a thing - seems really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I haven't come across this game before but it looks very interesting! My husband would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a good game though i got confused when I was reading the instructions lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. This game sounds like a lot of fun for anyone. Who doesn't like a challenge? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally agree with you about reading. My son is into reading but he loves playing with the apps on his iPod too. I would like for him to try this. I think he will find this interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, I am sorry to say that my grandkids are all electronic. What is this world coming to today? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This would be a fun game in our house, great fun! I like to switch up from electronics every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We create a list of activities that my students can do if they have a little down time. This would be a great option.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting game. I've never heard of it before. It's great to see more games that make you have to think more.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds interesting. My kids are just starting to get into games. I love that they like games. We'll be having some family game nights, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love playing games. This one sounds like a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I charter school my children so 3 days out of the week they are home schooled with me! I would LOVE to try this game! I think it's great that you try to look for quiet activities for your students who are finished with their work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks like a fun game! I'll have to look into this company more!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the review. This would be something to look into when my toddlers are a bit older.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks like a fun and challenging game. Great idea to use it for the students during free time after they have all their work done. It's a quiet game, but still fun.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Never heard of this game. Seems interesting! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So, not that easy, huh? GOOD! I need more games like that in my house for the kids

    ReplyDelete
  33. I wish I can buy one here in our place.. A pretty good game that enhances thinking..

    ReplyDelete