Student Teaching Update


I only have 16 days left of student teaching. 16 days left with some of the most amazing kids I have ever met. 16 days left with the people who have brought me insane happiness these past few months. I can't believe how quickly this experience went by. 

Since September 3rd I have been with third graders almost every single day. I have been teaching them math, science, reading, writing, vocabulary, and social studies. They have been teaching me how to be a good teacher and a good person. I have laughed with them, shared stories with them, cried because of them, and felt pride when they accomplished things that they didn't think they could. 

For most of my life I have known that I am going to be a teacher. I knew deep down in my bones that it is what I wanted to do. But it wasn't until this experience that I truly felt it is what I am meant to do. I think that I was born to be a teacher. 

There have been so many highlights of this experience for me. It is hard to pick just a couple to write about. But I think I will pick my top 3 student teaching moments to share with you.

#3. The Rock Cycle Skit. I recently taught a three week unit on rocks and minerals. This is a topic that is required to be taught in Massachusetts before the sixth grade. I was nervous about teaching it because I don't particularly like rocks or minerals. I don't really enjoy science all that much either. I chose to teach a science unit though to challenge my abilities as a teacher. My unit consisted of 12 actual lessons, some of which took multiple days to complete. We tested minerals for their properties, drew pictures of rocks being formed, and read some very interesting books. The best part though was by far the Rock Cycle Skit. A teacher that I work with wrote this skit a few years ago. It is about Penelope Pebble's journey through the rock cycle. I had a part for every student and they practiced their lines for a few days. Then they spent a week or so designing and creating their costumes. We performed the skit for two second grade classrooms, as well as both the principal and the vice principal. The students were extremely excited and proud of their skit. When we discussed it afterwards I learned that they had learned a ton about the rock cycle too! Seeing their excitement and happiness made me so happy to be teaching this unit with them.

#2. The boy who has autism. There is a boy in the class who is on the spectrum. He also has a little bit of OCD. He is the cutest, sweetest, most challenging little boy I have ever met in my life. When he is having a good day he is such a joy to be around. He can make me laugh and he teaches me new things about space almost every day. When he is in a bad mood it breaks my heart. But there is nothing more rewarding than pulling him out of that funk and into a happy mood. Watching him grow over these past few months has been something I will never forget. I have learned so much from speaking with him and watching colleagues interact with him. If I hadn't gotten to work with him my comfort level with special education would not have been where it is now- and for that I am eternally grateful.

#1. The look on the face of a child who did better than he or she thought possible. There are five or six students in the class who really want to please. They want to do well for their teacher, their parents, and for themselves. The stress that they place on themselves creates some anxiety. They often want me to be right there telling them that they have the right answer as they work on each and every math problem. They are so afraid of being wrong. There are also students who think that because they get one or two things wrong that they aren't good at that subject. It breaks my heart to see third graders saying that they are stupid. I work with these students one-on-one and as a whole class. When I grade their assessments and see that they got a 97% or a 98% I can't help but smile. But the best part is seeing their face when they see their score. "Miss Dean- I got a 98%!" They are so proud and so happy that they could get a grade that good. It almost makes me want to cry. I am so proud of every single one of those kids. 

Although my experience is almost over, I have to say that it has been one of the best experiences of my entire life. I will be a better teacher because of these kids and the teachers I have been blessed to know these past few months. I wouldn't trade this for anything else in the world. I am where I was meant to be. 

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

23 comments :

  1. That sounds like a truly amazing experience. And just think how prepared you are for your own class someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you! Always follow your dreams. I was a teachers assistant and I enjoyed it. The kids alone are a highlight. You are going to be a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this story made me smile. I think it is great that there are still people who aspire to become teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a year and you definitely got some great memories with your students. I'm sure they adore you as much as you adore them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you've had a great year gaining experience. It's great to see people wanting to become teachers and loving it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post :) So positive and enriching. I love kids as well and was actually a TA myself and loved it! Much wishes for you on your path to success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've picked a really great career. It takes special people to become a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful post! It sounds like you have had an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an amazing experience you had there! And you are truly blessed to have shared a moment with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can only imagine what kind of experiences you go through as a student teacher. I wanted to be one myself one day, that or an "artist". :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I truly love your post! You have learned a lot and have such a great attitude. Good luck as you finish up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really are a passionate teacher. Continue being an inspiration to kids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you value the experience so very much. I loved reading your thoughts about these things that stood out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's obvious from your updates that your heart is with your students. I think that's awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad that you enjoy your job! That is so important in life and from your posting I really can tell you do love it so. I wish you the best of luck when your student teaching finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The love of teaching others is clear in this post! That is awesome that you love your students.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you care so much about the kids, your passion is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Being a teacher is one of the most rewarding and important jobs in the world. Education is critical for our children yet it seems like schools are constantly facing cut backs. My favorite class mas Music. Getting to try all the different instruments was so much fun. Now kids are lucky if they get to play a recorder. I am happy you love what you do. We need more teachers like you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So good to hear that you love what you do. Not enough people feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I appreciate so much what teachers do. They are so important to the success & development of our children. Thanks so much for loving what you do and showing it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope my kids get a teacher like you someday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Teachers are amazing. I am so glad that you will be one! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the post~ Made me smile. You can always tell the teachers that are passionate about teaching!

    ReplyDelete